1. Ziwi Peak Grain-Free Canned Cat Food Recipe
ZiwiPeak Canned Cat Cuisine New Zealand Beef Recipe is among the highest quality pet food products available. The beef comes from free-range and grass-fed cattle. Cows used for this product are never given antibiotics or hormones, which can be harmful to animals and humans.
This product also contains green-lipped New Zealand mussels. These marine animals are a natural source of chondroitin and glucosamine, which are great for your cat’s joints.
Reviews are highly positive, and overall cats seem to love the taste. Some customers note that their cat experiences stomach upset if they switch out the flavors from beef to another variety too quickly. Fortunately, this can be avoided by gradually introducing new foods over the course of a few days.
- Picky cats love it
- Made from free-range and grass-fed New Zealand cows
- The higher amount of phosphorous makes it less ideal for animals with kidney problems
The Best Cat Food For Kittens
It’s worth remembering that not all felines need the same thing. Individual factors, including age, lifestyle, and the presence of chronic health diseases will have a big influence on the food that’s best for your animal.
Like babies and young children, young cats go through fast growth spurts, as much as tripling their weight in the first couple weeks of life.
Now, imagine just how much calories your little kitty cat is expending just to simply grow and play. With such a high energy expenditure, it can be tough for kittens to get in enough calories that will support normal growth.
To get your kitten started off in life on the right paw, you should feed your kitty three to four times per day. Like adults, kittens also need fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and other micronutrients.
But protein is where a kitten’s nutritional needs differ from adult cats. As much as 30% of a kitten’s calories should come from healthy animal-based protein.
So, how old is a “kitten” anyway? Consider your feline a kitten until it’s at least 1-year-old. Veterinarians recommend giving your cat a specially formulated kitten food until your feline friend is at least that age.
Wondering what the best food for kittens actually is. Our research points to Wellness Core Natural Grain-Free Wet Canned Kitten. Compared to other kitten food brands, this formula has a higher concentration of protein and amino acids. Both protein and amino acids are important for healthy organ, bone, and muscle development.
The Wellness kitten formula also offers high amounts of essential omega-3 fatty acids, including DHA. This is critical for brain and eye development, both of which grow and change rapidly as your kitten ages.
Customers like it, too. People note that their kittens have high energy, healthy skin and coat, and regular digestion while on this food. Some of the notes that the cans are in better shape when bought in-store vs. online. Overall though, feedback is positive.
So, what is the best brand? Coming in at the top of our feline
food ratings is Nulo. This American-based, independently-owned pet food company offers the best of what pet nutrition has to offer, including dry and wet food.
- It’s grain-free.
- It’s also free of synthetic ingredients, fillers, preservatives, and artificial flavors or chemicals.
- It offers a high concentration of healthy animal-based protein.
- Instead of rice and wheat, it contains carbohydrates like peas, chickpeas, and sweet potatoes, making it a great low carb dry cat food.
- It’s low on the glycemic index.
- Nulo has patented probiotics that help regulate your cat’s digestion and immune system.
- The company has pledged to work with family farmers and ranchers who use sustainable practices. They emphasize the use of free-range beef, chicken, and turkey, and wild-caught fish.
- Nulo facilities (in Kansas, Nebraska and South Dakota) are approved by the USDA, FDA, and AAFCO, undergo annual inspections, and consistently receive superior ratings.
- Great program for adult cats.